Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

  1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

Pretty indifferent.  I only got through the prologue, chapter 1 and through part of chapter 2.  I actually read part of chapter 1 first before I read the prologue so I was really confused when Lil pulled out the crack pipe and started smoking it right in the middle of Disney World. After I went back and read the prologue it made a lot more sense at her blatant not caring about getting caught with an illegal substance right in the middle of The Mouse's lair. I guess because this is a science fiction novel, I wasn't really surprised at the whole "multi-life" thing. I do wonder why the author chose to put the setting of the novel in Disney World though, other than it being the wanted destination for living of the main character.

2. What connection did you make with the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.
I didn't really make any connection to this story. I didn't relate to the characters or any of the themes or events presented. The only thing I really could connect with was the location of Disney and the location of the Tom Sawyer island. I went to the island at Disney with my family but it didn't really make any lasting impression on me. I guess that's why the author chose Disney as the location, almost everyone feels some sort of connection to Disney, whether it is just the movies or its the park itself.

3. What changes would you make to adapt the story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?
I guess the easiest medium to change this into would be to make it into a film. For starters, we would obviously not be able to use Disney World in the film and would have to make it into a different or original park. We could keep the Tom Sawyer piece since Tom Sawyer is in the public domain. I don't think I got far enough to make a good call on what changes other than that I would make. It would be kind of difficult to put the prologue in, but most likely I would keep it at the beginning of the story rather than putting it somewhere else in the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gintaras

Peter Rabbit's World